Friday, August 3, 2007

GH: Night Shift Episode 4 - Keep the Change

As we get further along into this little experiment of a spin-off, I find myself feeling more and more befuddled and I don't know if I should look at it like, "Oh my God, there's only 9 episodes left!" or more "Dear God, these 9 episodes are going to take forever to end!" So, I've decided to work through my issues with this blog.

First off, the absence of Jason was most appreciated and I think the show felt more well rounded because of it. A result was an increase in the amount of screentime with Dr. Drake and that always puts me in a good mood. So, I suppose I will start with the positive before I inevitably plunge into the the downright awful. I was glad to see Patrick go all rebel-without-a-cause and join the protest, but I was disappointed that it didn't seem like he had shared his plans with Robin. The relationship between Patrick and Robin is an issue all of its own and I will get to that in a minute. I generally rely on Spinelli for my dose of hilariousness, but in this week's episode, Jason Thompson got some rather fun scenes and my favorite was when he attacked Epiphany with a hug. After once again hearing a voice singing "When the Saints Go Marching In" he starts to ask Epiphany if she hears it, but thinks better of it because he knows she'll just call him crazy (not that the nurse ever crushes anyone's spirit). When she surprises him by verifying that he is not in fact mental (although Night Shift Patrick has been having his moments that make me question that assertion) his reaction was priceless. He runs somewhat awkwardly around the nurses' station (I'll let the awkward run slide because he is pretty to look at) and throws his arms around her and kisses her while proclaiming that he loves her. The look on Sonya Eddy's face was hysterical, but when she regained her Epiphany-like composure she told the surgeon to love her from over there and pointed elsewhere. Honestly, I thought her reaction would have been a slap followed by a loud "Boy, are you outcha mind? Get off me!" but this worked fine for me.

Another lighthearted moment for Dr. Drake was his elevator ride with Touissant where he quickly goes from pissed off at Dr. Ford to fangirly (he's a guy so, I guess fanguy-ey?) in 2 seconds flat when the interesting janitor starts singing and IDed him as the mysterious singing voice. I'm actually tempted to completely despise this scene because once again the dialogue seemed awkward.

Patrick: You're a singer?
Touissant: Once upon a time.
Patrick: Wow. So are, are you a professional? I mean you sound professional.

Yes, because I can carry a tune that must mean I was a famous songbird in my day. This ranks up there with the ridiculous line poor Mac got in the first episode: "You're probably wondering why there was laughing gas in the ambulance." But, you know, subtly is the GH exec's best trait after all. Like I said, I was only tempted to completely hate this scene except once again for the adorable Jason Thompson.

While Patrick was busy uncovering the mystery of the GH phantom singer, Robin was busy bonding with the HIV+ pregnant lady. Instead of talking to Patrick about her desire to maybe, possibly, one day, become a mother she asks him to consult on Stacy's case to which he responds that he's a neurosurgeon and the patient's ailments have nothing to do with his area of expertise. True enough, and I know this isn't GH, but I've grown accustomed to doctors performing all sorts of random operations that have nothing to do with their specialty so why change now? I'd also like to ask, where was this attitude when GH Patrick treated the three bimbettes with the sprained ankle?

Because they need another reason to fight, Patrick relents and checks on Stacy and the scenes proved awkward as Dr. Drake acts slightly freaked out and Dr. Robin is quite forceful about the case. I loved that Stacy called Robin on her aggressiveness because it gave the audience a chance to see that the researcher really isn't sure what she wants. While the scenes were supposed to be awkward, I wasn't alright with the awkwardness of the final rooftop scene. I realize things are supposed to be unresovled, but I felt like that conversation just stopped midway through because the producers ran of time.

I think the biggest problem I'm having with adjusting to Night Shift is the interaction between Patrick and Robin. I realize that they're trying to build a story here and it's not going to be all puppies and rainbows which is fine, but I feel like these characters lost a part of themselves as they moseyed on over to the Night Shift. I understand that you're supposed to be able to watch Night Shift and understand it without ever watching General Hospital, but I'm will to bet that the vast majority, if not all member of the Night Shift audience, are originally fans of GH, including yours truly. Patrick and Robin have always been super flirty and known for their banter and I'm not seeing that. The chemistry between the characters and actors that intrigued me seems to be missing as well. Arguing is normal for them, but there is always some sort of good discussion about the issue(s) and perhaps that's why I felt disappointed with this week's final scene. I'll just tell myself to hang on because I'll get my conversation eventually (just like the powers that be are going to bring Tristan Rogers back any day now and put him on contract).

Stan made a return appearance to the hospital and organized the strike for better wages and I'm actually liking the mother/son interaction between him and Epiphany. Quick question though: before tonight did they ever mention Stan becoming a doctor? I just thought he took a bunch of computer classes as a kid. Right, that's GH and this is an alternative universe. You know, for making this show easy to understand, I feel like it should require a bachelor's degree in order to watch it and comprehend this whole two realities, but one idea.

I hate that Epiphany's ragging on Stan for the strike because it's a far cry better than doing mob work, but I think I'll enjoy seeing her come around. Sneed and Ford were once again kicking out patients and deciding to spin Mrs. Storch's death as a murder instead of an error (because that would make the hospital look bad). In case you were wondering, I still totally hate them so Epiphany earned major points when she stared down Ford and reminded him that he's afraid of her. I also found the calm, no nonsense nurse tripping all over herself in the presence of the professional singer turned janitor hysterical!

Lainey once again dismissed Creepy Cody and had to deal with her father who suffers from Alzheimer's. He was brought to GH after possibly suffering a stroke. I was glad to see Patrick be supportive (although Robin popping in would have been nice too) and happy that Lainey was going to get a storyline outside of Creepy Cody .................and then I quickly realized that assumption was wrong. After Ford and Sneed essentially kicked Mr. Winters out of the hospital, Lainey had an emotional scene with her father. She was trying to help him get dressed and he was hostile until Cody came by and talked to him like a high ranking officer. I'm guessing from the salute that Mr. Winters was at one time in the army, but this doesn't work for me because it doesn't look like we'll be getting rid of Creepy Cody after all.

Kelly had sex with a new slightly swarmy, Latin orderly and then blew him off as well as Dr. Archer when he tried to talk to her as a friend. Okay what is her deal? Alternative universe Kelly is confusing me. She actually spouted off what sounded like legitmate medical terms, unlike GH Kelly. She snapped at Robin, her friend and ex-roommate, unlike GH Kelly. I mean, shouldn't she be more perky than daytime Kelly because she's clearly getting more action than her? Please just tell me what's wrong so we can move this little story along! Chances are, I'm not going to like it anyway.

And just when you thought the GH execs had no more story in them, think again! There is now a mystery subplot about who is making all these crazy, random "mistakes" happen at the hospital. Every good soap has some kind of killer storyline so let's make a list of suspects shall we?

1. Layla - Too obvious, but again, Night Shift is sooooooooooooooooo not subtle. Plus I just don't like her and would love to see her get carted off the Pentonville or Shady Brook.
2. Cody - The dude's unstable.
3. Touissant - This guy's totally shifty. Maybe he wants to make the hospital look bad so they can get rid of Ford. If that's the plan, I'm all over that because in case I hadn't mentioned it, I can stand that man.

No comments: