Saturday, August 25, 2007

GH: Night Shift Episode 7 - "Mothers' Day"

Okay, so that issue of sleep deprivation I mentioned that was impairing my judgement of General Hospital, apparently is still in effect because I actually enjoyed this week's Night Shift episode.

This show was a continuation of last week's episode (a clear violation of the rules the GH execs set) with Jason trying to save Stacey and her baby while everyone else is anxiously waiting for a mysterious singing janitor and his mobster hacker son (I'm unspoiled, but can you honestly tell me you don't think they'll end up related?) try to get the elevator up and running.


Outside the elevator Dr. Scorpio is still nervously waiting for the elevator to open when here comes the annoying Ms. Sneed sans cane. It's a shame too, because I think that cane could have been put to good use, you know, like shoving it up her already tight butt because I think she's a total word that rhymes with snitch. So the witchy beanpole starts going on and on about how Stacey and her baby are already dead when Dr. Ford comes up and tells her to back off. In fact, during the entire episode he seemed....................................almost human. Alright, that's it! Call Shadybrook and tell them I'm on my way. I must be certifiable if I think Ford is tolerable.



Once the doors open, Stacey is wheeled away from the bloody mess that is the elevator and a random nurse takesthe baby away. Spinelli named Stacey's daughter "the charmed one" and I found the title endearing. Again, a clear indication of my lack of sleep. If you were watching the show and thought, "Hmm. Stacey made it to the OR so everything will be fine now," you clearly have never watched General Hospital. Stacey ended up with some complication called placenta accreta which of course could only be solved by a hysterectomy because you know, that's what they do on this show. No woman can have a normal pregnancy and about half of Port Charles is barren. I'm starting to believe that one of the higher ups has a deep seated issue about pregnant women. Maybe I should send them a number of a good shrink?


Patrick was not been making me very happy lately, but I will say this for him. The look on his face when he saw all of the blood in the elevator was chilling and I appreciate that he went to find Robin, although I would have appreciated a little backup when Kelly laid into Robin saying "this whole conversation has been out of line." Um, so sleeping with random male colleagues is totally not out of line? What's that saying? I think it involves a pot and a black kettle.


As if Kelly's dialogue didn't annoy me enough already, she goes on to say "the C-section was practically textbook." Somehow nothing about a hitman and his goofy hacker sidekick performing a C-section by following instructions from a Web site just doesn't scream "textbook." Call me odd. Then again, maybe Spinelli was reading the online version of "Surgery For Dummies." I'm sure they make that right?


Surprisingly, Stacey did wake up after surgery and Robin was right there to introduce Stacey to her new daughter in a very adorable scene. Patrick stood back looking awkward and scared, but he earns points for not opening his mouth and inserting his foot as has become the trend on this show.


In a not so shocking turn of events, Stacey flatlined suddenly and Patrick tried to resucitate her to no avail as Robin frightenedly watched. Honestly the whole scene left me speechless because there was just so much emotion there. When Stacey didn't respond and Patrick tried to call the time of death, Robin attempted to grab the paddles and Patrick had to push his girlfriend out into the hallway and then we had this lovely exchange:


Robin: She's a mother, you can't give up on her!
Patrick: I did not give up! I did everything I could and she bled out.
Robin: You wrote Stacey off before you even started.
Patrick: I am not going to sit there and watch you shock a corpse until she fries!
Robin: You son of a bitch!
Patrick: Patients die. No matter what we do, no matter how much they deserve to live, they die. Now if you can't except that, you don't belong in medicine!


Even though Robin called Patrick an SOB before that final line, she still gets the points because that was a cruel thing to say. I'm pretty sure that Robin Scorpio of all people knows that people die whether they deserve to or not. I'm not saying what Patrick said isn't true, but when the brilliant Dr. Drake lost his first few patients, Robin was supportive instead of throwing the harsh reality of being a doctor in his face. Patrick, Patrick, Patrick. :::shakes head::: Here I was ready to give you another chance and you disappoint me. Such a waste of all the pretty.


I'm going to interrupt this emotionally tense situation by handing out the awesomely honest award of the week to Regina.


Leyla: You're not a nurse....yet, anymore than I am. In fact, your grades are lower than mine which explains your whole pathetic agenda.
Regina: I'm sorry I ever wasted 5 seconds feeling sorry for you. You deserve to crash and burn you selfish bitch.


Preach on sister, preach on! I'm not sure if it's the actress or the way the character is supposed to be played, but Leyla does come off as stuck up and I have yet to feel sorry for her.


I didn't get my usualy giggles this week from Spinelli, but from Dr. Julian. Aside from wearing a tie dye scrub cap during surgery, he listed off the injuries he treated (1 GSW, 3 stabs, and guy with a pipe stuck somewhere) like it was just another day at the office. I believe there's a joke that starts this way. You know you're in Port Charles when...


Another brief, but noteworthy event was the Stan/Epiphany interaction. Epiphany surprisingly did not lecture her son and he returned the favor by giving her a sort of compliment about everyone not being as good as her, but they can try. The truce was sweet, but I'm sure it won't last long.


Speaking of supporting actors, everyone at the hospital seemed to be taking turns being affected by Stacey's death. Touissant had a private breakdown witht the circuitboard while Kelly lamented to Andy that doing a C-section 3 weeks ago could have saved Stacey (um, pretty sure Robin mentioned that to you, but why would you listen to her?) Spinelli lamented to Jolene about being the one to jam the elevator and I actually felt badly for him. Bradford Anderson plays the goofy so convincingly that I'm always so surprised when he does serious so well. Jolene comforted him by going on and on about how heroic he and Jason were, as did a number of other people which got me thinking, did Robin get this much credit when she performed a C-section with no supplies in the middle of a collapsed train tunnel almost 2 years ago? What? You thought this little incident was original? Well, you would be wrong. Robin Scorpio delivered Molly Lansing with no Internet, no light and no scalpel, oh but wait a minute; that was on General Hospital and this is some alternate universe called Night Shift. I keep forgetting that the execs can break or follow the rules whenever they feel like it.


So while everyone was feeling badly or praising Jason, Robin went on an apology spree that would have put a Nobel peace prize winner to shame. Can we seriously get this girl an award for constantly being the bigger person and admitting her faults especially when no one else can seem to do the same? One stop on the Robin apology tour was Jason and I actually enjoyed their scenes. When Jason asked if it was his fault that Stacey died, I was so struck by how vulnerable he sounded. As Robin let down her guard and Jason offered her some comfort, I was just happy that at least someone seems to be there for Robin, especially since her boyfriend seems too scared to do it himself. I will admit this here and now and if you ever mention it again, I will deny it, but I actually teared up during these scenes. I do not cry, but Kimberly McCullough made me choke up. That's how convincing a found her performance so gold star for her!


The show wrapped up with the customary montage that involved the pink ladies taking Stacey's body to the morgue, Ford joining the Jason Morgan fan club, Jason desperately running to the hospital roof and breaking down, Robin watching Stacey being wheeled away while Patrick silently watches from afar, Robin holding Stacey's baby girl and when Patrick sees her he stares uncomfortably.


The screen faded to black........................................and that where the problems began. That's right, it was time for the previews.


First up we have Robin and Patrick arguing. Surprise, surprise.

Next, after 2 weeks of waiting we learn that Maxie is still alive, unless Dr. Julien is talking to her ghost, but I'm guessing she's not an apparition given that she's not wearing a ridiculous track suit.


Then Colonel Sanders states that Medcam is going to buy General Hospital and while this is supposed to be serious, I find myself bursting into a fit of laughter. The guy looks like Colonel Sanders and I know I will never be able to take anything he says seriously.


Finally, Lainey's dad shoves her into a cabinet.


So, nothing too awfully exciting and then my insomniac self is up in the wee hours of the morning with Soapnet on when I see this little ad:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IAroO78bjMg


Now that's a preview! Isn't that the type of reward I deserve after losing an hour of my life that I can never get back to a show that has the potential to be down right awful? For being so dedicated, it's the least I deserve. I certainly did nothing to earn this:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review and I felt much the same way about Nightshift. Bravo to Kimberly Mccullough. And I really don't get the hypocrisy of the staff at GH who have all been too personally involved in cases (Monica operating on Alan, Patrick with Jared, Patrick and his dad's liver operation)yet Robin is the only one wrong. Robin is the only one's medical judgement questioned and Robin always apologizing (even when she is right and she was with Stacey). Time for Robin to go into Private Practice and tell all those idiots, especially sleazy jerk Au Patrick.

scrubsjunkie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You recognized that Robin delivered Molly in the collapsed train tunnel. I haven't ever heard about that again since it happened. And thank you for mentioning all those things about Robin: that she was the one that said they should deliver Stacey's baby weeks ago, and that she is the only one who owns up to her ish and apologizes.

I thought that the looks that passed between Robin and Patrick at the end were a little bit hopeful, tho. He did smile a little at her. And he had tears in his eyes when Stacey met her baby. He's just scared; he'll come around. I thought Kimberly McCullough did a fantastic job on this one! Jason Thompson was good, too, but Kimberly was just on fire!

But seriosly, what do we have to do to get at least a HUG for Patrick and Robin??

Anonymous said...

That preview is awesome! I live in Canada and we don't get Soapnet so I'll have to wait and find it online, but I can't wait for next weeks episodes.

Patrick is really getting on my nerves. You hit the nail right on the head when you pointed out that Robin was supportive of him when he got emotional about the loss of a patient, yet he berates her in public and tells her maybe she shouldn't be in medicine.

That Jason and Robin scene where he thought he was at fault for Stacey's death was great. Steve really did look vulnerable there. Loved the fact that Robin was given a chance to vent and grieve with Jason, because god knows Patrick wasn't going to be there to support her. I'm hoping this Jason and Robin friendship will continue and perhaps evolve into more. I think a J&R reunion would be interesting to watch. God could you see Carly's face now? Now I'm cackling with glee ;)