Saturday, September 29, 2007

GH: Night Shift Episode 12 - "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

Once I got passed the first five minutes of this show, the episode went down at lot easier than it has in weeks past. I think watching Night Shift is kind of like drinking alcohol - you drink enough of it and eventually you become numb to the taste and it's easy to swallow anything. Before I start tearing the show apart, I will however, commend the writers on a few good lines of dialogue and by a few I mean I could count them on one hand.

Since it's virtually impossible for me to root for my original favorites on this show, I've selected a new character to care about - Regina. I know, I know, I said in the beginning that she wasn't a very good actress and that I didn't care about the character, but I'm changing my mind for a few reasons:

1. Regina displayed Georgie-like compassion to Leyla despite the fact that the suckup has done nothing but be a bitch to Regina. Georgie rocks so with a little more displays of these compassionate tendencies, Regina could soon rock as well.

2. Regina said that despite the breakup, Robin still has to work with Patrick and because of that, she feels sorry for Dr. Scorpio. It's about freakin' time somebody did!

3. Regina: Hey, why don't you take a break? I'll watch the desk.
Epiphany: That's not necessary.
Regina: Nurse Johnson, take a break.
Epiphany: Yes, ma'am.

Regina not only ordered Epiphany to do something, but the serious nurse actually obeyed. I don't think I've ever seen that before and Regina even got a "ma'am"!!!

Speaking of Georgie, I was pleased to see her dad Mac wandering around, but peeved that he was at GH to arrest Lainey for the murder of her father. Cody just happened to be standing nearby (seriously, why was he there?) and decided to help Dr. Winters out. He conspicuously grabbed a bottle of pills and when he got caught, he went on and on about how we was the one who murdered Mr. Winters just to get revenge for Lainey not helping him. It was touching, I guess, that Cody took responsibility for his actions, it's just a little weird that Lainey was falling for a guy who assaulted her several times at the beginning of their relationship.

Elsewhere in the hospital, Jolene was stalked by Colonel Sanders and Jason (do none of these people have anything better to do than hang around a hospital on a Saturday night?). The Colonel wanted the double agent to kill someone else and Jason's super sniffer of truth finally started working and he began interrogating Jolene and her shady actions. Jason tried to get Spinelli to help him play detective and of course the cyber slacker was hurt to think the "Angel of Mercy" who deflowered him (eew) is a killer. Actually, when you think about it, it makes sense because when has anything involving Spinelli ever been normal?

In breaking news, Robin and Patrick had a conversation. Well, it was really more yelling than talking, but the point is that they interacted. Is it just me, or does it seem like they haven't shared any scenes together in weeks? Patrick seems to be fighting for some kind of resolution, but I'm bitter about it because I think it's just because he's grasping at straws now that his plaything decided she didn't want to play anymore (thank God because their scenes were about to permanently rob me of my eyesight).

Patrick's whole comment about it being alright if Leyla fell in love with him really irked me because of how nonchalant he was about the whole thing. It took him a flippin' year to be okay with the idea of him and Robin falling in love, but with Leyla, he's alright with the concept within a matter of weeks? If anything, I thought he would have freaked out at the prospect after getting his heart crushed the first time.

While we're on the subject, I also wasn't exactly pleased with Robin's comment about her breakup with Patrick.

Robin: After giving up Stacey's baby I've just felt so...ugh. blah, you know, like getting up in the morning isn't worth the effort.
Jason: I'm sure your breakup with Patrick hasn't helped.
Robin: Well, you would think that, but honestly he hasn't even crossed my mind.

Excuse me? At the end of Robin's latest "love sucks" spiel, Jason said, "Doesn't sound like you." Word. Robin Scorpio hurts. Robin Scorpio focuses on pain and loss. She may be focused on the pain of losing Anna, but the Robin Scorpio I know would also be focusing on the pain of losing Patrick. Come on writers. Know your characters!!

This week's patient once again was Toussaint. To help prepare for the surgery Epiphany called Toussaint's old singer buddies. The first two came in and reminisced about the good old days while the third band member came simply to wish his ex-partner dead. Apparently the two had a falling out over a woman named Michelle. To quote Anna Devane, "That's where the girl comes in. There's always a girl, you know."

During Toussaint's surgery, he of course flatlined and while the doctors worked to save him, the janitor had a flashback to his days as a singer. I liked this substitute for the ending montage because I thought switching between the younger version of the band to the present day version while they performed on stage was clever. I also enjoyed seeing everyone (from current doctors to deceased patients) in the audience. I think what I enjoyed the most was the fact for the first time in weeks, the characters actually looked happy. Happiness, you know, that emotion that's opposite of anger, hurt and pain - the only thing Night Shift seems to be about.

Of course, as this show always does, it took my momentary amusement and turned it to annoyance. The show ended with Toussaint flatling and I was left wondering:

1. Did Toussaint die?

2. Will next week be a continuance of this Saturday night and will I then find out Toussaint's fate?

3. Will next week be a completely new day and someone might make the comment that they're so glad Toussaint has gone back on the road to tour with the Saints?

Execs, did you not learn anything from the fiasco that was Maxie's flatline? I think the better question at this point is why do I even care?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.

I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.
my page: off-page seo analyse