Monday, September 10, 2007

Just Saying

General Hospital aired a re-run for Labor Day so short week means a short review. I’ve already discussed the adorableness of Robin and Patrick as well as Georgie and Spinelli and sadly that’s where the happy stops. The only other bright spot was the return of Alexis. I was amazed that they remembered she was related with Sam and pleased because I love familial scenes (yay), but then I realized it was only so they could drag her into the latest mob story (boo).

After a relaxing Parisian vacation, Alexis returned stateside only to discover that Ric’s daddy was in town and threatening to take custody of Molly. I really enjoyed the scenes between Alexis and Ric because I think there’s great chemistry between the actors. I loved the Alexis’ visible shock and Ric’s look of sadness when Alexis realized that her ex wanted her to have Molly. I’m still upset that they broke this couple up, but as long as they share a daughter they’ll share scenes. It’s probably a safe bet that they’ll be arguing in the majority of said scenes but I can deal because I think that’s when they do some of their best work.

Across town, Lucky and Elizabeth reminded me why I liked them as they cutely discussed having a pool party for the kids and having a water fight with the hose. Of course that lasted until Sam showed up, so about five seconds. She told Lucky about the new scary mob boss and how she didn’t want him and his family to be a target so he didn’t need to be her bodyguard anymore because she would find someone else. Meanwhile, Liz heard the whole thing and then in no uncertain terms told Sam to leave by walking to the door, opening it and throwing the bitchiest bitch face ever thrown by a bitch. Carly better watch out because I think she’s got some competition for best bitch face. (Real life is calling so I will look for the cap later)

Something that had me all confuzzled this week was Lucky’s brother Nikolas. He’s suddenly gotten all moody and is lashing out at everyone. Apparently it’s over some secret project that only Alfred knows about. I’d be excited, but considering the last ridiculous storyline they tried to create for Nikolas and Emily (the Craig/Jerry poisoning Nikolas story), I’m not.

So this week we were introduced to a new mob murder storyline (yawn). Anthony Zaccara’s nefarious plot was set in motion by Trevor and the audience was treated to Nikolas getting pulled over, Jax injured from a car bomb, and a murder in Carly‘s house. The ex-mob moll’s nanny Leticia fell victim to the new mob’s henchman, but I’m not sure if she’ll be the only victim or if this murder spree is only getting started. Just in case it’s the latter, I say supporting characters beware. I’m talking to you Alfred, Bernie, Max, Milo, waitress at the Metro Court restaurant. Think about it. We haven’t seen Leticia in a while and when they did bring her back, it was just to kill her. GH has been pretty consistent with that tactic (i.e. Diego, Alan, Lorenzo) so I guess we shouldn’t have been surprised.

I found it amusing that Carly certainly didn’t seem to be too upset when she stumbled across her ex-nanny’s dead body on her living room floor. I suppose I really shouldn’t have been that surprised because it’s not like it’s the first time she’s witnessed violence and murder and unfortunately, the same can be said for the audience. My only concern with this storyline is that it will result in the death of an undeserving vet that isn’t linked to the mob because the vets are some of my favorite characters. Even if I was a huge fan of the mob characters, I wouldn’t be concerned for their safety because none of the main characters in the Port Charles mob actual die. I think if you suggested the idea to the writers they’d call you a blasphemer. I mean why would the people directly and constantly involved in the violence be killed even though they are at a higher risk? That would just be silly.

In all seriousness, must we bring another mob boss into town? Even with Lorenzo’s death earlier in the summer, you still have plenty of bad guys. There’s crazy Helena Cassadine, smarmy Scotty Baldwin, psycho Jerry Jax and the suspicious Father Ruiz. Remember him? Manny’s twin? What ever happened to that guy? You know you were just itching to turn him evil because Robert LaSardo is a kick-ass villain.

Let me clarify by saying I’m not opposed to the idea of action and such on a soap, but what I am opposed to is redundancy. How about just this once the powers that be try flexing their creative muscles and write up something that doesn’t involve another murder mystery involving the mob? You know, it really wouldn’t hurt you to try something different. I’m just saying.

No comments: