Saturday, July 28, 2007

GH: Night Shift Episode 3 - Paternity Ward

Typically it takes a while for me to adjust to a new character (I know, it's shocking to think that I'm hard to please) but Dr. Leo Julian has earned himself a new fan. On this week's episode of Night Shift, the wannabe rocker has shown he has a fantastic bedside manner.


So Mrs. Storch, the broccoli lady returned and Dr. Leo discovered she had pneumonia and was going to need to stay in the hospital. Broccoli lady does a fantastic job of looking teary eyed and scared and Dr. Leo squeezes her hand and kisses her temple and I about died!! That may have been the sweetest thing I have every seen!! As if that wasn't enough to put him in my good graces, he earned extra points when he knocked Sneed off her high horse when she decided to jump over Regina for "dealing drugs" to patients.


I think I'm in love.


In actuality, she was giving Mrs. Storch sample medication that Dr. Affectionate prescribed once he found out she was having trouble paying for all of her meds, but it doesn't appear that Mrs. Storch won't be around to use them. In one scene someone comes into her room and injects her IV with something and I think she smiled at them. In the next scene, her eyes close and her head falls back against the pillow. Totally knew she was going to die (because throwing your head back with closed eyes is the universal soap symbol for death right?) and it's sad, but on the bright side, no more frightening clown needlepoint. Seriously, who does not think clowns are terrifying?

Okay, continuing with the happy - I'd like to say how thrilled I was to get a Noah shoutout Thursday night. Unfortunately, Rick Springfield has concerts to perform and can't make it to Night Shift tapings, but I'll take a name mention. This week, an angry Patrick calls Noah to chew him out for questioning Patrick's decision to give a patient to okay for surgery (ooo, big surprise there). This week's main patient for Patrick and Robin was a 20 year-old guy who wrecked his porsche after storming out of his parent's house. The dad was a real ass who apparently thinks his son is a disappointment. This father and son conveniently reminded Patrick of him and his father because they fight and he had a porsche so he calls Noah and tells him he really liked the car (it's better than the constant screaming so I'll take it). By the way, the episode's title was "Paternity Ward." Get it? Because everything revolved around father/son relationships. Those clever bastards!

So car wreck boy developed cerebral edema which was the same condition Jason had (gasp!). Robin runs into Jason and she mentions it to him and says she was thinking of Alan (Jason's father). Instead of mopping floors this week, Jason was babysitting Jake - his son that he thinks no one knows is his yet in reality half the town knows his "secret" - because Elizabeth, who brought Jake to GH to get some amoxycilin for his earache, was called into surgery by Epiphany. Can you really do that? I mean I know doctors are on call and all that, but are nurses too? Whatever, I realize it was just a reason to make viewers watch Jason's "secret pain" because you know, it's not like we see it everyday on General Hospital or anything.
As Jason babysat, Elizabeth assisted on surgeries (that we didn't see, come to think of it, I think I've seen more surgeries performed on GH, yup, fantastic medical show!) and low and behold one of the patients was brought in for multiple gunshot wounds. Liz talked to the patient's girlfriend/babymama who revealed her babydaddy lives a dangerous lifestyle and she can't handle it. Gee, I wonder who that sounds like. You know, I like drawing parallels between characters, but when it's so blatant and it's done to everyone in the same night, it kind of loses its effect.

While I'm on the subject of things that bothered me, I would like to once again turn our attention to differences between daytime and nighttime characters. I realize execs said the characters would be sort of different on Night Shift, but this has become so ridiculous that even poor Jake is getting in on the act.

General Hospital Jake:



Night Shift Jake:


The General Hospital night shift is so intense that baby Jake grew a full head of hair within 20 minutes!! I know, I know, T.V. shows generally have to use more than one baby for the same part. In this case, I'm willing to bet it's because the first kid needed CPR and was put on oxygen after being strangled by Steve Burton's massive forearm.

Someone else in need of oxygen was Dr. Andy Archer. He was breathing from an oxygen tank randomly throughout the show I think to stay awake, but I'm not so sure. When this guy was first introduced on General Hospital a few weeks ago, he annoyed me because I thought he was another egotistical jerk, but now I've realized, he's just socially inept. He attempted talking to Leyla about a surgery he performed and ended up sounding ridiculous. Later, after he and Mrs. Storch both made a deal to not be afraid of life, he proceeds to ask Leyla out for pancakes, badly. It was seriously hard to watch as the guy totally crashed and burned. What made it worse was Leyla didn't even respond. She just walked off. Would it have really been that hard to say "No, thanks?" All I could think was bitch! I seriously don't like her and I'm starting to think she's a little psycho (ok, so I'm hoping so then I'll have an even better reason to hate her, you know, other than the fact that she exists). Her most recent sketchy action was sneaking into Mrs. Storch's room, who then mysteriously died (I'm assuming). If she is psycho, she's probably the one that tampered with Dr. Boyd's IV. Dr. Boyd was tired and Dr. Archer suggested he nap while inserting an IV into his arm (I have no idea what was in it and frankly it creeps me out). So when the machine was tampered with, the doctor remained passed out and missed his surgery. Let's recap, smug nurse possibly killed an old lady, potentially knocked out a surgeon and unmercifully rejected a bumbling doctor. Yep, I don't like her.

I suppose I shouldn't feel too badly for Andy because Kelly made him feel all better in no time. Dr. Lee was definitely on the prowl this past week:

* On the last Night Shift, she showered with Stan.
* On General Hospital she tried to hook up with Jerry Jacks.
*On this week's Night Shift she hit on Dr. Jullien and slept with Dr. Archer.

She once again ended up in the shower, but this time she was fully clothed and was hugging her knees to her chest. Apparently Kelly feels badly about being a slut and perhaps there's an interesting back story? Color me intrigued.

One storyline that I wish would end is Lainey's story with crazy Cody, the vet. He is just creeping me out and his clothes are ridiculous. Listen, Night Shift wardrobe workers, just because he was in the army does not mean he only wears camoflauge. In fact, since he has PTSD or whatever, why would he would wear something that constantly reminds him of the war? It looks like I may get a small reprieve next week because Lainey received a phone call that something is wrong with her father. If I remember correctly from the 2 second storyline she got on GH two Christmases ago, her father has Alzheimers. I'm crossing my fingers and hopping for the best.
Spinelli once again provided the laughs as he introduced Lulu to Jolene in an effort to peak the nurse's interest in him. He invited her to a tech expo and she turned him down, but at least she brought him BBQ chips and orange soda to soften the blow (take notes Leyla).

There was also a few pieces of dialogue that deserve mention:

Touissant: Tell me something, what do you do for a living when you're not shooting your friends in the foot?
(He shoots other people in the chest, duh)
Jason: I'm a coffee importer.
Touissant: (laughs)
Squee!!! He continues to taunt Jason and I love him for it!

Epiphany: Incoming! Saturday night special en route. Multiple gunshot wounds. (glances at Jason) Well, at least we know who isn't involved.
(Hee!)

Mrs. Storch: (To Jason who's holding Jake): He's going to be a real lady killer when he grows up.
(Yup, but since his daddy's a hitman, it's probably not the way you're thinking)

Spinelli: I like to play with children.

I think I'll end with that last quote because it pretty much speaks for itself.


No comments: