Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bureacratic BS

What the bloody hell is this???

They fired Sabine Singh so the original Greenlee can come back? Are you kidding me??!! I am so upset because I have really enjoyed the chemistry between Singh and Aiden Turner. Like I've said before, I only started watching AMC because of this couple.

I tried to cool down after hearing the news, but the more digging I did to find out the whys and hows, the more pissed I became. For example have you seen this letter that's circling the Internet? (Scroll down to see the original posting by Superposter of the Year).

The post starts like this:

ITS TRUE.

hi. im new to the board but have been reading it for months now as ss is one of my oldest dearest friends from home. I also hope she does not get angry at me for writing today and speaking HER TRUTH. She is DEVASTATED but is doing everything she can to hide it and continue to honor and respect the show, the fans, and her friends at amc. She was given the news this week and basically, i kid you not, given less than a week to "quietly get out".

And it only gets worse from there.

It's hard to say if this is a legit letter or if a disgruntled fan posted it, but either way, I have a feeling it's pretty close to the truth. Just check out ABC Daytime's Website:


The "Real" Greenlee?

Wow.

If that isn't a huge slap in the face to Sabine, I don't know what is.

I don't know the behind-the-scenes nitty gritty because I wasn't there, but it looks to me like the AMC execs are looking for a quick fix to plummeting ratings and they think bringing back the original actress is going to fix that. By the way, it isn't. What you need is better writing, but that's a post for another day.

One of the things that bothers me is the timing. Isn't Sabine in the middle of a contract? It seems like they kicked her out as soon as the original actress decided to come back. From what I understand, Rebecca left to pursue other opportunities and has turned down the chance to return to AMC different times. My guess is those "other opportunities" didn't happen and she misses a steady paycheck, which is understandable, I just hate that it's at the expense of Sabine.

Now I don't know Rebecca, but I'm not sure I can root for her either. In a Q&A, here's what she had say about her recent roles:

Well, I just did a CSI. That was pretty cool--I played a stripper!

Um, yeah............

She was excited about playing a stripper.

Nope. I'm not feeling that.

So while I realize I'm probably in the minority here because generally speaking, viewers prefer the original actor on any soap, I still think this sucks and it's wrong. Minority or not, I think Sabine has developed quite a few fans so how about a compromise. How about bring her back as a different character? Kind of like GH is with Sarah Brown.

I just cited GH as an example of a good idea. That's how big of a mess AMC is right now.

Because I know I probaby won't get my way, I had resigned myself to the fact that I could at least enjoy the last month of scenes between Sabine and Aiden because you know their characters will be reunited by Christmas, but then I saw AMC's promo for the week.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Aidan and Kendall sleep together because of GRIEF??!!

You effin' (expletives)!!!

I have one month left to enjoy scenes with these actors and you're going to ruin it with this contrived crap?

Not only that, but now we find out that Greenlee isn't responsible for Spike's deafness. So what your saying is after months of having to play scenes where everybody hates her, Sabine has to leave, before she receives the reward of having scenes of acceptance??!!

@@#$%&*($@!!!!

God I hate this show!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with every word. Sabine was doing so wrong. She is half responsible to making the pairing between Greenlee and Aidan successful. I love these two together. They had what supercouples are made of. They were adventurous and funny and just beautiful and they reminded me of what soapcouple in the 70's and 80's were made of. They threw that away for someone who obviously couldn't find any work to come back and trash Sabine Singh and her amazing work she has done for months. Sabine had very difficult emotional material fromt he start and working with all the leads on the show. I will miss her very much and Frons needs to be fired for firing Sabine and making her role on AMC seem like it was insignificant which she wasn't. I never watched AMC before her and she brought me to the show.

Anonymous said...

I agree with every word you said. Sabine is the only reason I watch the show, her and Aidan are something else! She has done everything they have asked of her and with such difficult scenes. She pulled it all off beautifully and this is how they repay her for saving their show?? The producers and that Rebecca Budig have got some nerve! Rebecca wants her job back NOW? Well guess what Rebecca its not YOUR job anymore. You aren't Greenlee. You left your fans and your character. You dont get them back with a snap of your finger!! Its just not right!!! If Sabine leaves I will be leaving with her.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better... thank you so much for expressing so many ppl's sentiments...
The way I see it - Sabine took on the role of Greenlee and made it her own, thereby becoming "the real greenlee" and it's so unfortunate that ABC/AMC didn't see the pot of gold they struck with the SS/AT pairing... Just look at youtube posting on the couple... HELLO ppl, not only was this pairing creating a new viewership but also bringing back old ones. How do I know - read the comments left by posters on the youtube clips...
Sabine you are awesome and for the rest of this viewers memory you are Greenlee and I will always have fond memories of Ailee...

Anonymous said...

"The real Greenlee is back on AMC" - HOW CRUEL IS THAT??? What they did to Sabine was just plain WRONG!!! Does AMC not have a heart anymore??? I'm sorry I love RB just as much as anyone but this is not right at all. She can't get anything anywhere else so she has to steal a role from another promising actress that I loved and adored as Greenlee. That charater will never be the same to me anymore. This is cruel. And because of it, no I don't welcome Budig with open arms, Sabine WAS sufficing as the recast!!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you'd like to let the people at AMC/ABC know that you would like to see Sabine back on an ABC, whether it's on AMC as Greenlee or another character or on OLTL or GH, please send letters to the executives in her support! Avoid negativity & emphasize what you would like to see (Sabine re-hired) and why!

For more info about how to support Sabine Singh visit http://www.myspace.com/supportsabine

Julie Hanan Carruthers
Executive Producer All My Children
320 West 66th Street
New York, NY 10023

Brian Frons
President, ABC Daytime
500 South Buena Vista St
Burbank, CA 91521

Sue Johnson
Vice President, East Coast Programming for ABC Daytime
77 West 66th Street
New York, NY 10023

Anonymous said...

I've really liked Sabine Singh in the role of Greenlee and thought she was doing a wonderful job with the emotional material she was handed. She's one of the only reasons I've been watching this year and I will miss her when she is not on the screen. The pairing of Greenlee and Aidan has been an added bit of pleasure the past couple of months. I've always liked the character since the beginning with Rebecca Budig. Both actresses are beautiful and talented and bring wonderful nuances to Greenlee.

What AMC needs is better writing and consistency--not necessarily changing of actresses mid-stream.