Sunday, December 23, 2007

Just Saying

For those of you keeping track, I still hate this flippin' show because Georgie Jones is still dead. If anything else happened this week, I don't know what is was because I was too focused on this travesty.

I was surprised that Georgie was given a funeral, but I'm not sure it was better than the alternative. For starters, what was this:



Clearly someone took this picture last minute and it's so unflattering. That hoodie is awful and why is her gorgeous hair pulled back? What was wrong with using one of the cast stills they have on file like they've done with everyone else they've killed? Granted, that last round of promo shots were not flattering to Lindze at all, but what's wrong with the older ones? For example, this picture:
I got this from the General Hospital website. It took two seconds. Could the execs really not be bothered to look for a decent picture?

Hate. All I feel is hate and rage.


Another shocker was that Georgie's death brought Felicia (Kristina Wagner) back to town. I was surprised mostly because if memory serves, Kristina and ABC parted ways because they couldn't agree on a contract and possibly didn't part in the best of terms. The return of this vet should have been a plus, but unfortunately, her performance seemed..........off. Maybe it's because she hasn't worked with Kirsten Storms or maybe because there are hard feelings behind the scenes. If it's the latter, I'd like to think that Kristina cared enough about telling a story to suck it up for a few days so that Georgie was shown some kind of respect.



Felicia (the recast) faded into the background about two years ago and it took months (possibly a year) before anyone offered the explanation that she went to Texas to take care of a sick grandmother. As time went on she didn't contact her kids and the fact that no one took two seconds to say she called to check in was ridiculous. With Felicia's return came another explanation for her absence. I think the writers were trying to make it better, but the more she spoke, the worse it got:

Felicia: Mariah got worse. I couldn't take care of her by myself anymore. So I put her in a private health-care facility. It broke my heart, Maxie, but I didn't have any other choice. I was making arrangements to come back home and -- and I got a call. It was from Frisco. He was needing my help. He was in a situation that was deteriorating rapidly, and he didn't know who he could trust.
Maxie: Is Dad all right?
Felicia: He is now. It was touch and go for a little while, but we got through it, together. And then I realized how much I missed us -- how incomplete we were. In your life, Maxie, you get maybe one great love, and Frisco was that for me, but I couldn't live his life. You and Georgie were just babies, and I couldn't just pick up and leave on a moment's notice. So I had to make a choice. I know that you needed me more than Frisco did, so I had to let him go.
Maxie: And you regretted that ever since.
Felicia: No. That is not true. I have loved the life that I have lived in this house with you, Georgie, and Robin and Mac.
Maxie: Did you even love him? Because Mac is wonderful, and he was more of a parent to Georgie and me than you or Dad ever were.
Felicia: I'm well aware of that. Maybe that's why I felt comfortable to leave you with him.
Maxie: But Georgie and I were big girls, and we would have been happy just to know where you were -- to know you were with Dad. We would have kept your precious secret, Mom, even from Mac if you had asked us to, but you didn’t. And you have to tell me why.
Felicia: I didn't really have time to think. I just went. It all happened so fast. So then when I hooked up with Frisco, I couldn't call you. I mean, people were watching us, waiting to see how we were vulnerable. I didn't want to take the chance of putting you and Georgie at risk. Once things settled down, so much time had gone by that I didn't feel like I could make this call, so I kept putting it off. I wish that I hadn’t. I wish that I could hear her voice one more time. I wish that I had come back to see the young woman that she had become. I can see how angry you are with me. And I'll take that anger. I deserve that anger, because I wasn't here when you and Georgie needed me the most. And there's got to be a price to pay for that. But please don't ask me to regret the time that I spent with your father, because I cannot.



Why is it that GH has this incessant need to write all of the mothers and fathers on the show as "deadbeat parents?" Speaking of, this whole Frisco thing not showing up to his daughter's funeral is ridiculous. I really don't think Jack Wagner is planning on returning anytime soon (if ever) and if he did, it's safe to say he wouldn't be written for seeing as how this show abuses vets. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he's someone I wouldn't mind the show killing, especially if it meant saving someone like Georgie who still had a lot of story left to tell.


Another familiar face who returned to town was Dillon. His reaction was a little over-the-top for me, but I'm willing to let it slide because Dillon is a bit of an over-the-top character. Once again, I think the writers were trying to make things better, but they just made it worse. Dillon supposedly came back to whisk Georgie away to Canada to show her where they were going to be filming the movie he's working on. I'm sure he was there for Christmas, but it was a nice gesture that he wanted to spend time with Georgie. What was incredibly crappy was the timing.


Dear writers, this is the definition of the phrase "too little too late."


The way that GQ got destroyed by hurricane Lulu was ridiculous. If they wanted to toss in the abortion storyline, fine. It was controversial so it wasn't a bad idea to go there. What sucked was the fallout. It was obvious that they wanted to pair Lulu with Logan so to add Dillon to the other list of guys who were already chasing her was overkill and a waste of a funky character. When Dillon left town, his goodbyes focused way too much on Lulu instead of Georgie with whom he had a longer history with. I thought it was a huge slap to GQ fans. Yes, I am still bitter about that ridiculous driveby hug this summer.


The only good thing about this whole mess has been the acting by John J. York and Kirsten Storms. Those two have absolutely rocked their scenes. York is completely wasted on this show. A scene of mention is the exchange between Robin and Mac prior to the funeral:
Mac: I'm the police commissioner. I should've caught this bastard a long time ago. Instead, he's been free to roam, wreaking havoc. One of my daughters was attacked in my own living room. And now Georgie's dead.
Robin: Okay, you have to listen to me. You didn't let Georgie down once. You were the one constant in her life -- and Maxie's and mine. You were the one who committed to raising us when our parents couldn't or wouldn’t. You were there -- telling us to eat broccoli and do our homework, dealing with our raging female hormones, making us know every single day that we were just as loved as any kid in any normal family. Think of the person Georgie was -- smart, compassionate, loving -- that didn't just happen. She was a reflection of the best of you, Uncle Mac.
Mac: Whew.
Robin: You cannot control what's random. And believe me, you are the best parent any of us could've asked for.



I don't know how this little piece of gold found it's way into this crap pile of a show but I'll take it.

Maxie's eulogy was also a nice scene, except for the part where she tore into Felicia. It was totally inappropriate, but it was completely Maxie-like and it was soapy so it wasn't an entirely bad choice. What is a bad choice is the lack of reasoning behind this. The only thing I see coming from this death is it provides an excuse for Maxie to be angry with Felicia and we can have another "I hate my parents" storyline. There is no reason for her death other than laziness. The writers are too lazy to write for Georgie so it was just easier to kill her off.

Pure laziness.

When you kill off a character, make it count for something. Remember when Jesse Beaudry died? His death set up several stories: Noah's liver transplant, Maxie spiraling out of control and Lucky's pill addiction (partly). Georgie's death sets up diddly squat.

You know, I feel an odd sense of déjà vu.

I know why. Because I wrote about Emily's funeral a few weeks ago. Listen up GH execs. Murder, funerals and heartaches during the holidays is NOT a good idea. No one finds this entertaining.

I'm just saying.


Thanks to laurieluvsliason for the caps.

No comments: