Saturday, January 19, 2008

Baby Blues

Robin Scorpio is finally pregnant and while I'm sure Scrubs fans everywhere are rejoicing, I, quite frankly, am all kinds of disappointed. Not to bring them down, but I was really hoping for something unique for this couple. Oops pregnancies are daytime staples (i.e. Lulu, Skye, Elizabeth) and switching it up would be a nice change. I understand accidents are more dramatic, but I think the powers-that-be severely underestimate the need for a different kind of drama.

I, for one, think it would be nice if someone had a planned pregnancy for once. I was really hoping Robin would be that one soap heroine that did things the traditional way, you know, find a boy, sex him up, get married and then plan a pregnancy. I think GH execs have proven that they are incapable of thinking outside the box, but I believed they would be forced out of said box given Robin's medical history.

Wrong again.

Robin and Patrick's love story has been unique because of it's pacing. It's been incredibly realistic which makes it relatable and enjoyable. I'm sure they'll end up together eventually, but now it's going to seem more like Patrick will step up (assuming he does) because he doesn't want to be like his father instead of he loves Robin and they came to the decision together about wanting a child. This way, he's thrust into fatherhood, but I think it could have been much more entertaining to watch him come to the realization on his own.

The other complaint I have is the exec's attention to the medical issues of this story. Okay, so if Robin's pregnant, that means the Patrick could be infected so it's HIV waiting game part two and let me tell you, the results of the first saga were a huge letdown. Secondly, I thought the odds of Robin getting pregnant accidentally were zero because of all the precautions they take. After telling me, the viewer, these facts repeatedly and then suddenly getting Robin pregnant without planning it, makes no sense. If the higherups chose to write the story so that Patrick and Robin didn't use protection because of her grief over Georgie or whatever, that will be so irresponsible and completely out of character for Robin. Then again, I don't think anyone could accuse the GH execs of always being responsible or always keeping people within character, so if the story does go this unfortunate route, I won't be surprised, but I will certainly be disgusted.

It's out of my hands now so I guess I should just call this GH disappointment #3,478 and try not to focus on all of the ways this could get worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more. TIIC of GH have no clue about real drama. One more accidental pregnancy in PC and the mayor gets a free toaster! It's a pathetic, worn out, boring, and in Robin's case reckless and stupid plot device. Patrick's character has become a total ass 90% of the time since his Night Shift morphing. And Robin is near unrecognizable. He lies about a broken condom and she lies about the baby being his. Old and played out bullshit already done to death on GH. And so out of chrater for Scrubs. Plus he beds Leyla again right after exposure???? Dumbest doctor ever. If GH wants to play fast and loose with medicine make up a disease like they did in the 80's. Don't belittle and falsify reality when it comes to HIV/AIDS. It's beyond irresponsible. People should be fired for this recklessness IMO. Soon...Enter Carly and her dream revenge......BORING STUPID and CRUEL plot device # 7435.